Famotidin ist für die Behandlung von Zwölffingerdarmgeschwüren, gutartigen Magengeschwüren und des Zollinger-Ellison-Syndroms, bei denen eine Reduktion der Magensäureproduktion sinnvoll ist, zugelassen. Für die Behandlung des Sodbrennens und des sauren Aufstoßens steht Famotidin in Kombination mit Antazida zur Verfügung.
Pepcid is used for treating and preventing ulcers. It is also used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), conditions that cause increased acid secretion, and esophagitis. It reduces stomach acid by blocking one of the chemicals (histamine) that stimulates the release of acid into the stomach.
Pepcid is used for:
Treating and preventing ulcers. It is also used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), conditions that cause increased acid secretion, and esophagitis. It also may be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor. Pepcid is an H2 (histamine) blocker. It reduces stomach acid by blocking one of the chemicals (histamine) that stimulates the release of acid into the stomach.
Do NOT use Pepcid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Pepcid or other acid reducers (H2 blockers)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Pepcid:
Some medical conditions may interact with this medicine. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines or other substances
- if you have kidney or liver problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Pepcid . However, no specific interactions with Pepcid are known at this time. Ask your health care provider if Pepcid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Pepcid:
Use Pepcid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Pepcid by mouth with or without food.
- Take Pepcid at least 2 hours before or after taking cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), itraconazole, or ketoconazole.
- If you miss a dose of Pepcid , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Pepcid.
Important safety information:
- Pepcid may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Pepcid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Notify your doctor if you have any symptoms of a bleeding ulcer, such as black, tarry stools or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, and complete blood cell count, may be performed while you use Pepcid . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Pepcid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
PREGNANCY and BREAST FEEDING: Do not use Pepcid if you are pregnant. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. Pepcid is found in breast milk. Do not breast feed while taking Pepcid.
Possible side effects of Pepcid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
- Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; headache.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
- Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); convulsions (seizures).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur.
Proper storage of Pepcid:
Store Pepcid at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Pepcid out of the reach of children and away from pets.